We've launched our app!

Our free Orwell Housing app provides you with instant access to your account so you can manage your tenancy and services from your phone, anytime.

Help with Housing Costs

Many residents receive assistance with paying their rent by claiming Housing Benefits from their local council. Find out more below.

Help With Housing Costs

Many residents can receive financial support towards paying their rental charge by claiming either Housing Entitlement via Universal Credit or Housing Benefit from their local council. Eligibility to these financial supports is accessible via a means tested benefit application, which is intended to support people in receipt of a low income and have low savings.

This financial support can also cover part or all of a service charge, but water, heating and lighting charges to individual accommodation are excluded and would be the responsibility of the resident to cover.

For most working-aged residents who are considering applying for financial support for housing costs, they would need to apply for Housing Entitlement via Universal Credit. The benefits system is changing the way this financial support is provided and soon most working-aged residents, who are in receipt of Housing Benefit will be invited to apply for Universal Credit. This invitation will be provided by a migration notice from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). For further information about this process, please see our webpage on this topic and further guidance.


At Orwell Housing, we have team members available to support anyone with the necessary forms and provide guidance on completing this process.

Depending upon eligibility for this financial support and where you live, it can take several weeks to be processed and may take some time before the first payment is made to you. We encourage all residents to ensure they are making the right choice for their circumstances and to apply, when possible, with accurate information and supply any evidence requested.

Paying the rental charge for your home is the responsibility of the resident. If a resident has received financial support to help cover this charge, they must ensure any changes in their circumstances are updated on their claim. This will help avoid any delays to their financial support being issued. In addition, it is helpful to notify your Housing Officer or Scheme Manager of this, to make them aware of any potential changes in your support or payment plan.

Below we have included further information, guidance and support avenues to assist with the right financial support available for your circumstances.

If you have any further questions or you would like to speak to someone regarding any of the information, please fill out our contact form at the bottom of the page.

Housing Costs Help

Further help and advice with housing costs is available for the following agencies. Click the logos to be taken to the relevant website:


Citizens Advice

Citizens advice link and logo

Citizens Advice help people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice.



gov.uk image logo and link

The best place to find government services and information.



Shelter image link and logo

Shelter provides free, confidential advice to people with all kinds of housing problems.

If you need help with any of this, please use our contact form and we will contact you with the help you need.


Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size