Help with Housing Costs

Many residents receive assistance with paying their rent by claiming Housing Benefits from their local council. Find out more below.

Help With Housing Costs

Many residents receive assistance with paying their rent by claiming Housing Benefits from their local council. Housing Benefits are a means tested benefit that is intended to help people with low incomes and low savings pay for rented accommodation. Part of your service charge may also qualify, but water charges, heating and lighting to individual accommodation are excluded and these charges will need to be paid even if you receive benefits.

Orwell staff will be able to advise you, supply you with the necessary forms, and help you fill them in if you have difficulty. Depending upon where you live, it can take a number of weeks to process your benefit claim and it may take some time before the first payment is made. Therefore applying as soon as possible with accurate information is very important.

Should you qualify for Housing Benefits, the payment of benefit is paid monthly or four weekly in arrears. It is still your responsibility to ensure that the rent and charges for your home are paid to the Association even if you qualify for Benefit. In the event that your circumstances change or your Housing Benefit payments have been suspended or stopped, you must act quickly and contact the Benefits department of your local council. It is also helpful to notify your Housing Officer or Scheme Manager as well, so that they are aware of any potential changes to your Housing Benefit.

If you have any further questions or you would like to speak to someone regarding any of this information then please fill out our contact form at the bottom of the page.

Housing Costs Help

Further help and advice with housing costs is available for the following agencies. Click the logos to be taken to the relevant website:


Citizens Advice

Citizens advice link and logo

Citizens Advice help people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice. image logo and link

The best place to find government services and information.



Shelter image link and logo

Shelter provides free, confidential advice to people with all kinds of housing problems.

If you need help with any of this, please use our contact form and we will contact you with the help you need.


Housing Finance Support Form

This can help locate your account with us.
Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size