We've launched our app!

Our free Orwell Housing app provides you with instant access to your account so you can manage your tenancy and services from your phone, anytime.

Ukraine: what we can do to help

Everyone wants to do their bit to support those who have been forced to flee their homes because of the invasion.

Posted by: | 23rd March 2022
Ukraine Banner

Everyone wants to do their bit to support those who have been forced to flee their homes because of the invasion. We have had a few enquiries from our tenants asking if they can open up their homes to those fleeing the war in Ukraine.

  • If you have a spare room and you are a social renter or a shared owner, you can apply to be part of the scheme, but you need to seek our permission as your landlord first.
  • You can’t sub-let your home, but you may be able to accept a lodger. Please check with your housing officer first.
  • We will check that your home is suitable for hosting a family and that it won’t cause overcrowding.
  • You will not be able to charge rent and guests won’t be able to claim Housing Benefit.
  • We understand that your benefits shouldn’t be negatively affected if you are claiming them, but we are waiting for further detail, and we will keep you informed.
  • As an organisation we are staying in touch with both the Government and the National Housing Federation about what else we may be able to do to support and what role we may be able to play in future phases of the sponsorship scheme.

The Government has shared the following FAQ’s which may also be helpful: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/homes-for-ukraine-scheme-frequently-asked-questions?utm_campaign=2381208_Homes%20for%20Ukraine&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dotmailer&dm_i=3R33,1F1CO,54ICFS,56E2Y,1

Other ways you can help: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ukraine-what-you-can-do-to-help


If you wish to make a financial donation - Make your donation safely

The government have listed the Disaster Emergency Committee on their website: https://donation.dec.org.uk/ukraine-humanitarian-appeal

But there are lots of organisations across the UK and internationally who have launched appeals, and you may wish to donate through these organisations. There are some simple steps you can take to ensure your money is safe and being used effectively:

  • Check the charity’s name and registration number using the search the charity register tool
  • Most charities with an income of £5,000 or more must be registered, which means they are regulated by The Charity Commission
  • Make sure the charity is genuine before giving any financial information
  • If in doubt, ask the charity or organisation for more information
Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size